Sometimes a wrongdoing can affect more than one person. If this happens, our legal team can make a group claim on behalf of everyone affected. This is known as a class action. Class actions allow individual claims to be brought together in a single action against a defendant. Joining a class action can speed up the legal process and reduce hassle and cost.
A class action can bring to account a wrongdoer who causes widespread harm. If the case is successful, the Court can fairly divide the compensation amount between the group. Legislation varies between Australian states and territories so it’s important that you’re represented by a law firm with knowledge and experience in this area.
How do I start a class action?
Class actions take place in the Federal Court and State Supreme Courts of Australia. There are three criteria that need to be fulfilled for the lawsuit to take place:
- There must be 7 or more people claiming;
- From the same, or similar, event/circumstances; and
- The claim must relate to at least one common issue of law or fact.
Class actions in Australia work an opt-out model. This means that all potential claimants become members of the action whether they intended to participate or not. These members are bound by the judgment of the court or settlement unless they opt-out. If you are involved in a class action you will be notified.
Investigations and class actions
- Westpac Class Action
- Katherine Class Action
- Pearls Ponzi Scheme
- BankWest/CBA Class Action
- Oakey contamination class action
- Prolapse Mesh Class Action
- Sun Princess Norovirus Infection
- Stolen Wages
- AMS Mesh Class Action
- Essure Class Action – Birth Control Complications
- Malaysia Airlines MH17
- DePuy / Johnson & Johnson Hip Replacement
- Wickham Securities Sandhurst
- Commonwealth Superannuation Scheme (CSS) compensation claims
- CBA’s Open Advice Review Program
- Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS) Class Action
- Macquarie Private Wealth Compensation Program
- Johnson & Johnson/Ethicon Mesh Class Action
- Air Asia X Cancellations investigation
- Zimmer Durom Hip Replacement
- Arundel Suntown Tip Class Action
- Gladstone Harbour Disaster Representative Class Action
- DePuy / Johnson & Johnson Knee Replacement
- Dan Bowl Tax Minimisation Scheme Group Action
- Alcoa Alumina Refinery Multiple Plaintiff Action
- Collingwood Park Mine Subsidence Group
For further on information, see the following:
Our offer to you
Latest from the blog
Gender Pay Gap – Why does it still exist?
Enough with the quotas and the equality policies, why is the gender pay gap still a “thing” in 2017? There are some who deny the gender pay gap exists but as it turns out we have all been eye witnesses to it. Every week day morning. For a decade. What exactly does Karl Stefanovic have […]Read more
Full Cycle – Tips on what to do in the event of an accident
Shine Lawyers own Stuart Le Grand talks through some helpful tips in the event of an accident. See the full video from Full Cycle below. “Whilst we use our best endeavours to avoid accidents, unfortunately they do happen. Here’s a few tips for you if you are involved in an accident. Be sure to […]Read more
The Weinstein Saga – What good can come from this Hollywood horror?
It’s hard to ignore the Harvey Weinstein headlines circulating in the media; they are as offensive and abrupt as many might assume the man to be. I, like many, have been following the developments in this Hollywood horror story over the course of the past few weeks. I have felt a gamut of emotions – […]Read more