Sometimes a wrongdoing can affect more than one person. If this happens, our legal team can make a group claim on behalf of everyone affected. This is known as a class action. Class actions allow individual claims to be brought together in a single action against a defendant. Joining a class action can speed up the legal process and reduce hassle and cost.
A class action can bring to account a wrongdoer who causes widespread harm. If the case is successful, the Court can fairly divide the compensation amount between the group. Legislation varies between Australian states and territories so it’s important that you’re represented by a law firm with knowledge and experience in this area.
How do I start a class action?
Class actions take place in the Federal Court and State Supreme Courts of Australia. There are three criteria that need to be fulfilled for the lawsuit to take place:
- There must be 7 or more people claiming;
- From the same, or similar, event/circumstances; and
- The claim must relate to at least one common issue of law or fact.
Class actions in Australia work on an opt-out model. This means that all potential claimants become members of the action whether they intended to participate or not. These members are bound by the judgment of the court or settlement unless they opt-out. If you are involved in a class action you will be notified.
Who is the Class Actions Team?
Shine Lawyers' Class Action team includes some of the firm’s most experienced special counsel, solicitors and support staff, including law clerks and paralegals.
Investigations and Class Actions
Current Investigations and Class Actions
- AMP Insurance Class Action
- Bankwest/Commonwealth Bank Class Action
- Blue Sky Class Action Investigation
- BSA Limited Class Action
- BT Super Insurance Class Action Investigation
- Car Dealer Flex Commission Class Action
- CBA CommInsure Class Action
- Colonial First State Super Insurance Class Action
- Cumberland Manor Coronavirus Class Action Investigation
- Dixon Advisory Class Action Investigation
- EML Payments Shareholder Class Action
- Essure Class Action Investigation – Birth Control Complications
- Iluka Class Action
- IOOF Class Action
- ISG Management Class Action
- McDonalds Breaks Class Action Investigation
- Bullsbrook Contamination Class Action
- Darwin Contamination Class Action
- Edinburgh Contamination Class Action
- Lavarack Barracks Contamination Class Action Investigation
- Richmond Contamination Class Action
- Townsville Contamination Class Action
- Wagga Wagga Contamination Class Action
- Wodonga Contamination Class Action
- Jervis Bay PFAS Contamination Class Action
- Redland Ratepayer Class Action
- Ruby Princess Coronavirus Class Action
- Northern Territory Stolen Generations Class Action
- Northern Territory Stolen Wages Class Action
- Sun Princess Norovirus Class Action Investigation
- Western Australia Stolen Wages Class Action
- Westpac Life Insurance Class Action
- WorleyParsons Class Action
Successful Class Actions
- Arundel Suntown Tip Class Action
- DePuy/Johnson & Johnson Hip Replacement
- Katherine Contamination Class Action
- Oakey Contamination Class Action
- Quakers Hill Nursing Home Class Action
- Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS) Class Action
- Wickham Securities Sandhurst
Investigations No Longer Proceeding
For further on information, see the following: