Sometimes a wrongdoing can affect more than one person. If this happens, our legal team can make a group claim on behalf of everyone affected. This is known as a class action. Class actions allow individual claims to be brought together in a single action against a defendant. Joining a class action can speed up the legal process and reduce hassle and cost.
A class action can bring to account a wrongdoer who causes widespread harm. If the case is successful, the Court can fairly divide the compensation amount between the group. Legislation varies between Australian states and territories so it’s important that you’re represented by a law firm with knowledge and experience in this area.
How do I start a class action?
Class actions take place in the Federal Court and State Supreme Courts of Australia. There are three criteria that need to be fulfilled for the lawsuit to take place:
- There must be 7 or more people claiming;
- From the same, or similar, event/circumstances; and
- The claim must relate to at least one common issue of law or fact.
Class actions in Australia work on an opt-out model. This means that all potential claimants become members of the action whether they intended to participate or not. These members are bound by the judgment of the court or settlement unless they opt-out. If you are involved in a class action you will be notified.
Who is the Class Actions Team?
Shine Lawyers' Class Action team includes some of the firm’s most experienced special counsel, solicitors and support staff, including law clerks and paralegals.
Investigations and Class Actions
Current Investigations and Class Actions
- AMP Insurance Class Action
- Audi and Volkswagen Investigation
- Bankwest/Commonwealth Bank Class Action
- Blue Sky Class Action Investigation
- BSA Limited Class Action
- BT Super Insurance Class Action Investigation
- Car Dealer Flex Commission Class Action
- CBA CommInsure Class Action
- Colonial First State Super Insurance Class Action
- Dixon Advisory Class Action Investigation
- Essure Class Action Investigation – Birth Control Complications
- Iluka Class Action
- IOOF Class Action
- ISG Management Class Action
- Bullsbrook Contamination Class Action
- Darwin Contamination Class Action
- Edinburgh Contamination Class Action
- Katherine Contamination Class Action
- Lavarack Barracks Contamination Class Action Investigation
- Oakey Contamination Class Action
- Richmond Contamination Class Action
- Townsville Contamination Class Action
- Wagga Wagga Contamination Class Action
- Wodonga Contamination Class Action
- Redland Ratepayer Class Action
- Ruby Princess Coronavirus Class Action
- Stolen Wages Class Action Investigation
- Sun Princess Norovirus Class Action Investigation
- Westpac Life Insurance Class Action
- WorleyParsons Class Action
Successful Class Actions
- Arundel Suntown Tip Class Action
- DePuy/Johnson & Johnson Hip Replacement
- Quakers Hill Nursing Home Class Action
- Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS) Class Action
- Wickham Securities Sandhurst
For further on information, see the following: