Everyone in Australia has a superannuation fund. Although the Government generally restricts your access to this money until you retire, there are limited circumstances when you can access your superannuation early. These circumstances are mainly related to specific medical conditions or severe financial hardship, and include situations where you are unable to work because of injury or illness.
You may be eligible to access your super early if:
- You have been on Centrelink payments for at least six months and are unable to pay your living expenses
- You are over the minimum retirement age (55-60), have been on Centrelink payments for nine months, and won’t be returning to full time work
- You are over the minimum retirement age (55-60) and still working
- You are permanently incapacitated for work
- You have a terminal illness
- You are a temporary resident about to leave Australia, and not planning to live here again
- You need money for palliative care, medical and transport expenses for a life-threatening injury or illness, or modifications to your home or car as a result of a severe disability
- You need to make loan repayments where a lender has threatened to sell your home
Are you sick or injured and unable to work?
You may be entitled to benefits through your superannuation fund or life insurance policies.
Why you should claim online:
How do I make a claim?
The way you apply for early release of your super will depend on the category of claim you are making. If you are applying on compassionate grounds then applications are made to the Department of Human Services. For any other reason, applications are made directly to your super fund. Gaining access to these benefits, however, can be a lengthy and complicated process.
Our team of expert superannuation lawyers are here to guide you through the claims process. They will be with you every step of the way to ensure you receive the full range of benefits you are entitled to, and are able to get back on your feet as soon as possible.
Who is Shine Lawyers' Superannuation & Insurance Law team?
Shine Lawyers' Superannuation & Insurance team includes some of the firm’s most experienced special counsel, solicitors and support staff, including law clerks and paralegals. The team includes: