Shine Lawyers Logo
1800 618 851

Making a car accident claim for a child

Every parent dreads the possibility of their child coming to harm. A car accident is already a traumatic experience that can physically and psychologically impact a person for the rest of their life. If a child is involved as well, the experience may become even more distressing.

What happens after the accident? How do we assist children with their phsyical and psychological recovery? How does an adult make a car accident claim for a child and what happens if the child caused the accident?

Who is entitled to make a car accident claim?

If your child is under 18 and has been injured in a motor vehicle accident, you as their parent or guardian have the right to claim for compensation on their behalf. Shine Lawyers can help you through this stressful time and help you acquire the maximum amount of compensation you’re entitled to. This amount depends on who was at fault during the accident and how much each party was liable.

After an accident, your first step is to seek medical attention. Not only is it crucially important for your child’s recovery, it’s also important for your claim in terms of gathering evidence including photographs and medical assessments. Upon seeking medical treatment, contact Shine Lawyers as soon as possible for a thorough assessment of your child's car accident claim.

Common injuries suffered by children in car accidents?

According to a Department of Transportation study, head injuries were the most common type of injuries suffered by children in car accidents. This category includes concussions, fractures and even traumatic brain injury resulting in long-term cognitive and / or behavioural difficulties.

Other kinds of injuries include injuries from broken glass, chest injuries from collisions with the seat in front of them and emotional and psychological injuries. Even if no physical harm came to the child, they may still need therapy or counselling to be able to move forward with their lives.

The NSW Government State Insurance Regulatory Authority has published a useful reference guide for helping a child to recover emotionally after a motor vehicle accident:

What happens if the child is at fault in a car accident?

Even if the child contributed to the cause the accident, they may still be able to claim for compensation.

Contact Us

If you, your child or another loved one has been injured in a car accident, Shine Lawyers can help. Our motor vehicle accident lawyers are experts in their field who work on a no win, no fee basis.

Our offer to you

Shine Lawyers | Service Image | Shine Lawyers

No Win No Fee arrangement

Shine Lawyers | Service Icon | Shine Lawyers

We can come to you - if you can't make it into the office we're more than happy to come to you

Shine Lawyers | Service Icon | Shine Lawyers

Obligation-free initial consultation to assess your case confidentially

Shine Lawyers | Service Icon | Shine Lawyers

Claim assessment process where we will explain all of the options available to you

Common Questions

Where you are located isn't necessarily a barrier when it comes to obtaining the services of a lawyer. We're experts when it comes to motor vehicle related claims and we can help you get the compensation you deserve.It doesn't matter if you are located close or far away from a Shine Lawyers office - we will always provide the same, expert advice and manage your claim with the same level of quality and commitment.

Our compensation experts are in the following locations:

Shine Lawyers are expert motor vehicle lawyers that can help you get the compensation you need following your injury on the road. Click on the link below for more information about how Shine Lawyers can help you today.

Why you should choose Shine Lawyers to handle your motor vehicle accident claim

Hear from some of our clients

History of Shine Lawyers

The Shine Lawyers team

Shine Lawyers also have accredited specialists in personal injury law across the nation.

Shine Lawyers are one of the biggest motor vehicle injury litigation firms in Australia and have the experience and nous to go up against the big insurance companies and get you the result you are looking for. At Shine Lawyers you will have your own go-to team, who are always available to chat and who understand that explaining things in plain English to you is important.

We provide all of our motor vehicle legal services on a No Win No Fee basis, which means you won't have to pay our legal costs unless we win your claim at the end.

Hear from some of our clients who have been through the legal process with us.

Enquire Now

If required, we gather more details or documents later in the process.
We're available to talk