Shine Lawyers | Compensation Lawyers, No Win No Fee
1800 618 851

Common Injuries in Motor Vehicle Accidents

Nobody plans for or expects to have a car accident. Yet accidents can happen any time and any place and sometimes the outcome can be deadly.

Road fatality data from the Department of Infrastructure, Regional Development and Cities shows that in 2018 there were 1,198 road deaths (provisional) and that in 2019 there were 119 (provisional) by the end of January. Overall, more Australians have died in traffic accidents than in both world wars and the Vietnam War combined. Car crash fatalities peaked at 3,798 in 1970 and dropped to 1,154 in 2014 with factors like improved car safety, driver education, law enforcement and better road design lowering the fatality rate.

So what are the most common kinds of injuries you’re likely to sustain in a motor vehicle accident? And how do you make a claim for compensation?

Common Injuries in Motor Vehicle Accidents

Some of the most common injuries in Australia following motor vehicle accidents include:


Whiplash is extremely common and can result in symptoms like neck pain, headaches and memory loss lasting for days or even weeks.

Brain and head injuries

Brain and head injuries are often caused by rollovers and rear-end collisions and can include permanent disability and even death.

Spinal injuries

Spinal injuries also caused by rear-end crashes and can result in paralysis, both partial and total.

Psychological injuries

These can include post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), anxiety, depression and a phobia of car travel.


This is often caused by broken glass upon the impact of the collision.

Do I have a claim?

If you’ve suffered either injury (physical or mental) you likely have a claim for compensation. If you’ve experienced loss of income, you probably also have a claim.

Victorian residents may be able to claim under the Transport Accident Commission (TAC), a government insurer that pays compensation regardless of who caused the accident.

Even if the accident was entirely or partially your fault, there may be avenues for compensation. While medical treatment is the most crucial step after an accident, you should speak to Shine Lawyers as soon as possible about making a claim.

What if a child is involved?

If your child was injured in a motor vehicle accident, you can make a claim on their behalf. A child can’t make a claim on their own but a parent or legal guardian can bring it forward. The money is then held in trust for the child to benefit them later in life.

How can Shine Lawyers help?

If you’ve been injured in a motor vehicle accident, whether it was from a car, motorbike, bicycle, truck or any other motor vehicle, you may have a claim for compensation. Shine Lawyers have legal experts who can guide you through the process in a straightforward fashion and represent you on a no win, no fee basis. For more information and to get in touch with us visit

Our offer to you

Shine Lawyers | Service Image | Shine Lawyers

No Win No Fee arrangement

Shine Lawyers | Service Icon | Shine Lawyers

We can come to you - if you can't make it into the office we're more than happy to come to you

Shine Lawyers | Service Icon | Shine Lawyers

Obligation-free consultation to assess your case confidentially

Shine Lawyers | Service Icon | Shine Lawyers

Claim assessment process where we will explain all of the options available to you

Common Questions

Enquire Now

If required, we gather more details or documents later in the process.
We're available to talk

Live Chat

No agents are currently online

Chat Feedback

We would like your feedback to improve our website. How would you rate your experience?