If you've suffered a work-related injury or illness, your life can change in an instant. We understand, and we can help you to access the workers compensation you’re entitled to.
Workers compensation is a type of insurance payment that is designed to support workers who have been injured on the job or suffered a work-related illness. Shine Lawyers are experts in workers compensation law and will help you to start a claim to secure the money you need to regain your independence.
Am I eligible for Workers Compensation?
All employers are required to have workers compensation insurance for employees in their workplace. This insurance scheme covers:
- Casual and permanent employees
- Full-time and part-time employees
- Self-employed workers
- People deemed to be workers
If you believe you have suffered a work-related injury or illness, our expert team of workers compensation lawyers will be able to help you understand what you are eligible to claim.
What can I claim under Workers Compensation?
Types of injuries covered by the Victorian Workers Compensation scheme include:
- Injuries suffered at work, as a result of work or during work activities
- Diseases caused by work
- Pre-existing conditions or diseases made worse by work
- Injuries suffered while travelling for work
- Injuries suffered while receiving medical treatment for a separate work injury
Workers compensation claims can also cover you for psychological and stress-related injuries, such as a heart attack or stroke.
If your illness or injury was the result of a workplace accident you may be eligible to claim for:
- Medical and hospital expenses
- Loss of wages
- Travelling expenses
- Permanent impairment compensation
- Rehabilitation expenses
- Return to work services
- Common law damages
Several factors impact the amount of compensation you or your loved one may be entitled to. These factors largely focus on the gap between your predicted life path and your new life path, including the expenses you have incurred as a result of your injury. Once we meet with you and understand the details of your circumstances, we can give you a better idea of what to expect as your claim progresses.
How to make a Workers Compensation claim
Compensation is awarded differently in each case, and a lot depends on your specific circumstances. The amount of compensation you can receive may depend on:
- Your working conditions, including supervision and the level of training you received;
- The seriousness and complexity of your injury;
- Your own injury management, including rehabilitation prospects and potential aggravation; and
- Your employer’s liability – whether your injury was a result of their negligence.
Without an experienced Victorian workers compensation lawyer on your side, it can be difficult to identify the merits of your case, and you may not receive the compensation you're entitled to under the Victorian workers compensation scheme.
Our team of workers compensation experts may be able to help you if:
- you need help submitting a workers compensation claim;
- you submitted a workers compensation claim, but it has been rejected by your employer’s insurer;
- you have taken the insurer to conciliation through the Accident Compensation Conciliation Service (ACCS) and don’t know what to do next;
- your employer is refusing to cooperate with your claim, or pressuring you to return to work;
- your employer's insurer is refusing to pay for treatment or hasn’t approved your request for surgery;
- your entitlement payments are incorrect or have been cut off; and/or
- you’ve suffered a workplace injury and need advice on the next steps.
Shine Lawyers can help
If you have suffered a workplace injury or illness, you may be entitled to compensation. Contact Shine Lawyers today for an obligation-free discussion about your potential claim. Our team of expert workers compensation lawyers can help you to understand your rights and access the compensation you’re entitled to on a No Win, No Fee basis, so you don’t have to worry about out-of-pocket legal expenses.
For more information about how Shine Lawyers will handle your case, watch our simple step-by-step guide to compensation claims below. Or if you want to find out more about workers compensation claims, see our Common Questions section.
If you have suffered a work-related injury or illness and are an employee of the Commonwealth Government, a statutory authority or a corporation who self-insures (including companies such as Telstra, Australia Post, NAB and CBA); you may be entitled to make a workers compensation claim under the Comcare scheme. Click here to find out more about Comcare claims.
Superannuation and Disability Insurance
If you are unable to work due to illness or injury you may be entitled to benefits through your superannuation or other insurance policies. Speak to one of our Superannuation and Insurance Claims experts for a quick, obligation-free analysis of your situation to determine your rights and ability to make a claim. Learn more about Superannuation and Disability Insurance Claims