If you or a loved one have been diagnosed with a dust disease as a result of exposure to hazardous particles – such as asbestos or silica, you may be entitled to receive compensation.
Working with dangerous dusts without the proper protective gear can put you at risk of developing a dust related disease, as can coming into contact with hazardous dusts in non-occupational settings. If you have been diagnosed with a dust disease, Shine Lawyers will fight for the compensation that you and your family deserve.
Diseases that can be associated with dust exposure:
- Asbestos-related pleural disease
- Benzene Poisoning
- Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
- Coal Miners Black Lung
- Occupational Asthma
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Timber Dust Exposure (Nasal Adenocarcinoma)
Industries most at risk of dust diseases:
There are many industries including (but not limited to): power stations, mining, brick manufacture, construction, ship building, plumbing, boiler making and stonemasonry where workers would be at risk of developing disease as a result of occupational exposure. Whilst symptoms often don’t present until years later, once diagnosed they can progress quickly.
Dust disease compensation process
- Document your exposure - if you know that you have been exposed to a dangerous dust, either at work or in a non-occupational setting, document your exposure using our free asbestos register, silicosis register, or by using the form below. This will help us to support your claim if you are diagnosed at a later date.
- Suspect you are ill? See your doctor - be explicit about the industry that you work in and what your concerns are as some diseases will not turn up on initial scans.
- Receive diagnosis? Request a medical certificate from your doctor.
- Contact Shine Lawyers and speak with a dust diseases expert as quickly as possible as strict time limits apply.
- We will support you to make a claim for compensation and can help to speed up the legal process. We can investigate and bring negligence claims against the entities responsible for your injuries. We can also assist you with accessing statutory entitlements, such as workers compensation if you were a worker when you were exposed and superannuation benefits if you are unable to work because of your condition.
- We’re on your side and offer our services with a no win, no fee guarantee, meaning that you don’t pay for our legal services unless we are successful.
Why claim dust disease compensation?
Compensation can help you or your family with expensive medical bills, costly support services like at home nursing care, medical aids and lost income that could occur due to managing your chronic illness. It can also provide compensation for the pain and suffering associated with your condition.
How Shine Lawyers can help
Our highly experienced legal team understand the ins and outs of standing up for the rights of workers whose lives have been turned upside down by these destructive diseases. We can help you to understand what your legal rights are and have the know how to pursue a claim on your behalf so that you get the best possible outcome. Contact us today to find out more. For more information about dust disease compensation claims see our Common Questions section below.