Shine Lawyers Main Logo

Flood insurance claims - homes and businesses

Home and contents insurance

If your home has been damaged by flooding, or your business interrupted or devastated by flood damage, our team of expert insurance litigation lawyers can help get your life back on track. 

We can assist if your insurance company has denied or underpaid your flood damage claim to ensure you get the best outcome as quickly as possible.

Do I have a flood damage insurance claim? 

The impact of floods can be catastrophic and long-lasting. Thousands upon thousands of Australians have recently faced irreparable flood damage and have been displaced from their homes and possessions. 

If your property or business has been devastated by floods or your business was interrupted, you may have a claim through your insurance to recover your losses. If you have already made a flood damage insurance claim that has been underpaid or rejected, we can help you fight for the pay-out you are entitled to. 

Our flood damage insurance experts can offer you an obligation-free confidential consultation. Contact us today to arrange your initial consult so we can start the process of reclaiming your insurance entitlements as soon as possible. We’ll carry the burden and help you get back on your feet. 

What can I claim for? 

We understand that insurance policies can be difficult to navigate, especially in times of a crisis. It may not always be clear to understand whether you’re protected against flood damage and if so, what your policy covers. 

Your Home and Contents Insurance or Business Property Insurance may include coverage for flood damage, however each policy can differ. Generally, this insurance will compensate for losses directly caused by flooding; however, the policies will often have different definitions of what constitutes a flood. Your business may also have Business Interruption Insurance for floods and other natural disasters.

Your policy may include cover for damage or losses to:

Flood damage insurance for businesses


Business premises including electrical or plumbing issues, structural damage such as walls due to mould, roofs, foundations, damaged carpets, cabinetry, staircases, blinds, garage doors, water tanks and more.


For the loss of any profits, wages, rent lease of mortgage payments or relocation costs suffered as a result of flood damages.


Contents including business stock, special machinery, cold rooms and plant equipment etc.


Business vehicles including cars, trucks and machinery, etc.

Flood damage insurance for residential


Property including electrical or plumbing issues, structural damage such as walls due to mould, roofs, foundations, damaged carpets, cabinetry, staircases, blinds, garage doors, fences and gardens, water tanks and more.


Contents including damaged appliances, personal belongings, valuable items, curtains, etc.


Motor vehicles including cars, motorcycles, bikes, etc. and are often covered under their own separate insurance policy.

What is the flood damage insurance claims process? 

Insurance companies are renowned for trying to delay, underpay or deny valid claims – that’s why having an expert in your corner can be critical. 

Some reasons insurers may argue to underpay or reject your claim include: 

  • Claiming that the damage wasn’t caused by the disaster 

  • A condition of your policy wasn’t met 

  • If a policy holder hasn’t disclosed certain information (for instance if the insurer finds out something later that would have prevented them from offering the insurance in the first place) 

  • If your policy was cancelled 

  • Allegation of fraud. 

To help ease your stress during this devastating time, let our team of legal experts manage your claim so you can focus on the more important things. 

How Shine can help 

We have helped thousands of Australians right wrong and access more than $1 billion per year in entitlements and compensation through our expert services.  

95% of the cases we represent are settled without the stress of going to court. 

With our 1000+ workforce and business maturity, we have the scale, expertise and agility to take on the tough cases and win. 

We are ready to take action and resolve your matter to get the maximum you're entitled to and right wrong. 


Can I represent myself, or do I need an insurance lawyer?

It’s possible to legally represent yourself when making or challenging a claim however, doing so successfully will likely require a thorough understanding of the law, your legal rights and entitlements, and a commitment to actively pursue the case to move it forward.  Most people choose not to act for themselves and instead engage a home and contents insurance lawyer who is an expert in their field and can provide the knowledge and experience required to help guide a case to a successful outcome. 

Why trust Shine to be my insurance claim lawyers?

At Shine Lawyers, we put you first. We’ve been standing up for the rights of everyday Australians for over 45 years. As one of Australia’s largest litigation law firms, we are here to help you get the justice you deserve.  Our empathy, understanding and expertise is why we’re ahead of the pack. We’ll stand with you and guide you through every step of the way. 

Where are the lawyers for home insurance claims from Shine located?

Access to justice is important to us, and when it comes to Shine, location is no barrier. We can easily arrange an obligation-free virtual or over the phone appointment. No matter where you are located, we will always provide the same, expert advice and manage your claim with the same level of quality and commitment.

Back to top


Shine Lawyers acknowledges the Traditional Custodians of the Country throughout Australia and their connections to land, waterways and community. We pay our respects to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultures; and to Elders past, present and emerging.

Shine Lawyers Pty Ltd | ABN 86 134 702 757

Copyright 2023 Shine Lawyers. All Rights Reserved