If you have received medical care or treatment in Queensland or Western Australia that fell below the standard of care reasonably expected, and this has resulted in loss or harm to you, you may be entitled to bring a medical negligence claim for compensation.
Shine Lawyers' medical negligence legal service extends to include:
Our expert medical negligence team has represented countless individuals in claims for medical negligence arising from insufficient care and treatment of general practitioners, hospitals, specialists, nurses and midwives.
Our specialist service extends to all types of injuries suffered from medical negligence, including the following:
- Brain injuries – Brain injuries can arise from surgical error or mismanagement. In severe cases, they can result in a stroke or infections of the brain, such as Meningitis.
- Spinal injuries – Errors in diagnosis of a spinal condition, or mismanagement of spinal surgery, can result in spinal abscesses, infections or debilitating conditions such as Cauda Equina Syndrome.
- Amputation - Poor vascular management (such as mismanagement of blood clots) and compartment syndrome can lead to the loss of a limb.
- Cardiac damage – Cardiac harm can result from a range of negligent practices, such as delayed or misdiagnosis of congenital defects or cardiac conditions, mismanagement of the patient during surgery, or anaesthesia errors.
- Incontinence - Continence issues from bladder or bowel perforations often arise from surgical error or mismanagement of a complication from a procedure.
- Neurological damage – Mismanagement of an infection resulting in sepsis or septic shock can lead to lasting neurological injury.
We also represent families of loved ones where a parent has passed away due to mismanagement of a medical condition or surgical error resulting in their death, and families of children born with disabilities due to mismanagement of the pregnancy or labour or a delayed diagnosis of a condition developing in utero. Many of these families have children with a diagnosis of Cerebral Palsy.
The medical negligence legal process
The medical negligence legal process can be quite complex and bringing about a claim for compensation in Queensland requires expert knowledge of the law.
No two medical negligence claims are the same. However, the below video provides a simple, general guide to the legal process for bringing a claim for compensation.
Superannuation and Disability Insurance
If you are unable to work due to illness or injury you might be entitled to benefits through your superannuation or other insurance policies. We recommend speaking to one of our experts for a quick, obligation-free analysis of your situation to determine your rights and ability to make a claim..