Pregnancy and childbirth should be one of the most exciting and special times of our lives. However, in the unfortunate event of medical negligence during the pregnancy or labour and delivery which results in a birth injury, families can be left emotionally and financially devastated.
What is birthing injury compensation?
Birthing injury compensation allows the families of infants born with birth injuries due to medical negligence to cope with the extensive medical expenses involved in raising a child with disabilities, as well as the ongoing costs of care and support throughout the child’s life. It also provides compensation to mothers who are injured due to negligence during childbirth, and holds the medical practitioner involved accountable for their negligence.
Although birthing injury compensation varies on a case-by-case basis, it generally includes compensation for:
- Medications, consultations, and other treatments associated with the immediate and long-term management of the injury;
- Physical and occupational therapy, speech therapy and other rehabilitation;
- Family counselling and psychological services;
- Home adaptations, aids and equipment, and long term educational and vocational needs;
- Non-economic damages such as emotional distress, and pain and suffering; and
- The loss of entitlement to work in a chosen profession or at all.
Shine Lawyers - Medical Negligence Practice
Shine Lawyers' Medical Negligence team is comprised of carefully-selected lawyers solely dedicated to handling cases of medical malpractice. We offer our medical negligence services on a No Win, No Fee basis so you don't have to worry about out-of-pocket legal expenses. Contact Shine Lawyers today for an obligation-free discussion about your potential claim.
For more information on the process involved in bringing a claim for compensation, watch our step-by-step guide below.