$250M Settlement Reached In DePuy Class Action Update: On 1 December 2016 the Court delivered its written judgment on the approval of the DePuy ASR Class Action Settlement. The written judgment contains the Court’s detailed reasons for the Orders made on 29 June 2016 approving the Settlement. The judgment is available to view here.
The DePuy ASR Hip Class Action began in 2011 and has been jointly conducted by Shine Lawyers and Maurice Blackburn Lawyers.
In March 2016 Shine Lawyers and Maurice Blackburn reached a conditional agreement with Johnson & Johnson and DePuy International to settle the DePuy ASR hip class action for $250 million, subject to approval by the Federal Court.
On 29 June 2016, the Federal Court approved the Settlement pursuant to an Amended Settlement Scheme, which is available to be viewed in the 'Further Information' section below.
Important details of the Settlement, including information on what Group Members must do to claim compensation in the settlement are summarised in the Notice of Proposed Settlement and Further Notice to Group Members which are also available to be viewed in the ‘Further Information’ section below.
If you would like to discuss your participation in the class action, please enquire online.
Click to view the following pdf documents relating to the class action:
- Further Notice to Group Members
- Amended Settlement Scheme
- Information on the proposed settlement - Notice of Proposed Settlement
- Proposed settlement - Settlement Scheme
- Second Further Amended Originating Application
- Second Further Amended Statement of Claim
- Defence of the First Respondent to the Second Further Amended Statement of Claim
- Defence of the Second Respondent to the Second Further Amended Statement of Claim
- Notice to Group Members and Opt out Notice
Recipients of the DePuy ASR device who wish to claim compensation in the settlement must register online here.
Our offer to you
Common questions about DePuy Class Action ASR Hip Replacement
The DePuy ASR hip implants were designed and manufactured to be used in total hip replacement or hip resurfacing surgery.
You are a group member if you have had surgery to implant one or both of the following devices in Australia:
- DePuy ASR Hip Resurfacing System; and/or
- DePuy ASR XL Acetabular System.
If you are uncertain about what type of implant you have received, we recommend contacting your treating doctor to request this information.