Shine Lawyers | Compensation Lawyers, No Win No Fee
1800 618 851

Australian Defence Force Claims Queensland and WA

If you have suffered injury or loss whilst serving as a member of the Australia Defence Force (ADF) you may be able to make a claim for military compensation.

This page is written specifically for a Queensland or Western Australian audience. Restrictions in these states prohibited us from showing certain information regarding our legal services, so if you are located outside these states please click here for information on military law

The Australian Defence Force legal process in Queensland and WA

Everyone’s situation is unique and no two Australian Defence Force claims are the same, however the below image is a good representation of how the claims process works with Shine Lawyers and how to access compensation following your injuries.


How Australian Defence Force compensation gets calculated in Queensland and WA

Depending on the nature of your Australian Defence Force compensation claim, generally speaking, a monetary value is placed on the gap between your predicted life path before the injury, and your actual life path since the injury.

Compensation Diagram

Defence Abuse Response Taskforce (DART) Scheme Revised

The government has opened the window for historic abuse survivors to apply for reparation payments and other support through the Defence Force Ombudsman (DFO). 

This is an expanded complaint window with the Defence Force Ombudsman’s Office that allows for abuse survivors who missed out on the DART scheme, to access reparation and other means of support. Shine Lawyers Abuse Law department assisted over 100 survivors in their DART applications and have the expertise in providing applicants with the best chance at receiving reparation for the abuse suffered while serving within the Defence Force.  In order to qualify for under the DFO scheme, the applicant must: 

  1. Have suffered serious abuse such as sexual abuse, serious physical abuse and/or serious bullying and harassment; and 
  2. The serious abuse must have occurred by a serving member or a person employed or contracted by Defence. 

The DFO will accept reports of abuse if the abuse is reasonably likely to have occurred. If the report is accepted by the DFO there are various outcomes available to the applicant including, reparation, counselling and a direct restorative engagement meeting. 

The Government announced a budget of close to $20m for reparation payments to be made in some circumstances. 

Applications can now be made to the DFO for consideration under this scheme. Shine Lawyers can assist with the application to the DFO.

For further information please phone our abuse law team on 13 11 99.

Our offer to you

Shine Lawyers | Service Icon | Shine Lawyers

Obligation-free consultation to assess your case confidentially

Shine Lawyers | Service Icon | Shine Lawyers

Claim assessment process where we will explain all of the options available to you

Shine Lawyers | Service Icon | Shine Lawyers

We can come to you - if you can't make it into the office we're more than happy to come to you

Shine Lawyers | Service Image | Shine Lawyers

No Win No Fee arrangement

Common Questions

Enquire Now

If required, we gather more details or documents later in the process.
We're available to talk

Live Chat

No agents are currently online

Chat Feedback

We would like your feedback to improve our website. How would you rate your experience?