Every year in Victoria three men are killed by falling off a ladder. Most of these men are aged over 55 and were completing jobs around their home at the time.
Jobs included pruning and cleaning gutters, which were at heights of no more than three metres. One man even died from falling just one metre.
According to the Alfred Hospital these statistics were prominent between June 2007 and 2011.
- There were 548 admissions related to ladder falls.
- 58 patients went to intensive care.
- 15 died.
- 26 went to rehab or a nursing home.
- 17 returned home.
- 100 people fell off ladders in June 2007, 190 fell in June 2014.
- 30 major trauma cases in June 2007, 50 in 2014.
However, the public is being urged to remember that these sorts of injuries are unpredictable and can occur no matter how old or experienced you are. Many injuries occur due to blackouts, slips, and a change in weather or health conditions.
If you are completing DIY around your home, please read this ladder safety guide beforehand: http://www.alfred.org.au/News.aspx?ID=553.
Written by Shine Lawyers on March 3, 2016. Last modified: September 26, 2018.