Drunken violence is an increasingly prominent issue in Australia. Over 3,000 deaths and 72,000 hospitalisations are the result of alcohol. Issues relating to alcohol abuse are costing Australians $15.3 billion every year, twice the amount spent on illicit drug abuse.
Research has found that 40% of young Australians aged between 12 and 17 have had a full serving of alcohol. Of those seeking treatment for substance abuse, 46% are getting help for alcohol abuse.
The Just Think campaignMany organisations are taking the initiative to help curb alcohol related violence. The AFL is one of these organisations. In 2008, former Geelong Cats players Tom Harley, David Wojcinski and James Kelly created the ‘Just Think’ campaign. The players saw a 60 minutes story featuring James Macready Bryan, who was a fan assaulted in Melbourne on his birthday.
Just Think promotes safe drinking behaviour. The campaign aims to educate the community about responsible drinking, promoting people to think before they have another drink or raise a hand. Their main focus is young people in Football and Netball Clubs as well as secondary schools across the Geelong region.
Noticing alcoholism in yourself or others can be hard, unless you know what you are looking for. Here are some handy tips!
- Large amounts of alcohol have the same effect as small amounts
- Memory loss
- Withdrawal symptoms
- Missing activities normally enjoyed
- Denying alcohol consumption
- Driving under the influence
- Drinking at anytime and alone
- Lack of motivation
- Planning to stop but never actually doing it
Further information and supportIf you or someone you know needs help with alcohol abuse, there are many places you can go. Check out some of these:
- Drinkwise.org.au - DrinkWise Australia’s focus is to help bring about a healthier and safer drinking culture in Australia.
- Beatalcohol.com.au – Beat Alcohol has been successfully helping people with alcohol dependence for more than 30 years
- Reachout.com – Get the facts on drinking.
Win a double pass to the next home gameAs part of the Just Think round, Shine Lawyers and the Geelong Cats are offering Cats fans the chance to win a double pass to their next home.
To enter, head to the Shine Lawyers Facebook page, like our page and tell us your history with the Geelong Cats in 25 words or less. Or alternatively, email it to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line #ShineAtKP.
For terms and conditions, click here.
Written by Shine Lawyers. Last modified: September 6, 2018.