We think you are in Victoria. If not please click 'Change'

In your state, you are required to confirm you wish to access this information. Please enter 'QLD' or 'WA' in the field below to continue.

No thanks

Overseas Injuries Compensation

Aviation safety 2003 - 2012: Report released by ATSB 30 October 2013

Australians love to travel. According to a recent ABC News story, in the 2016/17 financial year we made 10 million overseas trips.

Our favourite international destinations are New Zealand, Indonesia, the USA, Thailand and the UK. But while most overseas holidays are rewarding, enjoyable and free from unpleasant incidents, there are always exceptions. If you’ve been injured on an overseas trip organised by an Australian company, you might be eligible for an overseas injuries compensation claim. Read on to find out more about overseas injuries compensation and the process of claiming and get in touch with us.

What are your rights if you have been injured overseas?

First things first: taking out travel insurance is extremely important. If you take out overseas travel insurance, you should be able to claim the cost of your medical expenses from the provider unless your injury is the result of something the policy doesn’t cover (which usually comes down to a misunderstanding on the part of the traveler). Without travel insurance coverage, you are personally liable for the cost of your medical treatment overseas, which in countries like the U.S can be thousands of dollars. Travel insurance is the best way to protect yourself financially in case of emergencies abroad.

If you’re injured in a foreign country, whether or not you have a claim for negligence will depend on the safety standards and negligence laws of that country. Despite the accident occurring overseas, you might still be able to have the case heard in a court in your Australian state of residence.

But what if you’ve been injured on a work trip, or a trip organised by an Australian tour company? Then read on.

What constitutes a claim when travelling overseas?

If you were injured overseas on a work trip or signed up with an Australian tour company and were injured (even if you were already overseas at the time), you can bring a claim in an Australian court of law. Some parties that you might choose to take action against include the tour company or operator or, if you’ve experienced a work-related travel injury, your employer.


Our offer to you

  • Obligation-free consultation to assess your case confidentially

  • Claim assessment process where we will explain all of the options available to you

  • We can come to you - if you can't make it into the office we're more than happy to come to you

  • No Win No Fee arrangement

Common questions about Overseas Injuries Compensation

The best way to make a claim is to get in touch with the Shine Lawyers Travel Law team.

You should make a claim as quickly as possible. Travel insurance companies have a time frame (generally 60 days) from the date of the accident that you can claim in.

Time limits for making an overseas injury compensation claim will vary, but it’s in your best interests to pursue it as soon as possible. Provide as much evidence for the claim as you can, including photos, names, witness and reports. Don’t neglect to provide doctor’s reports written in a foreign language - they can be translated.

Shine Lawyers operates on a “no win, no fee” basis. If we don’t win your case, you don’t have to pay us anything.

To find out more and to start your compensation claim visit https://www.shine.com.au/service/travel-law/travel-lawyers-compensation.

Where you are located isn't necessarily a barrier when it comes to obtaining the services of a lawyer. We're experts when it comes to Aviation related claims and we can help you get the compensation you deserve.

It doesn't matter if you are located close or far away from a Shine Lawyers office - we will always provide the same, expert advice and manage your claim with the same level of quality and commitment.

Our compensation experts are in the following locations:


New South Wales


Western Australia

Latest from the blog

Stephen Roche: How a simple coffee with an old friend showed me the power of the Royal Commission
December 15, 2017

Stephen Roche: How a simple coffee with an old friend showed me the power of the Royal Commission

An opinion piece by Stephen Roche They say no good deed goes unnoticed. When you’re working hard someone is always watching. It’s a lesson hard to be mindful of. Not because we chug away at life aimlessly, but because sometimes, it’s easy to forget the significance and privilege a lawyer has in affecting change. My […]

Read more
How to share the road safely with trucks and other heavy vehicles

How to share the road safely with trucks and other heavy vehicles

We’ve all heard the expression ‘without trucks Australia stops’. Yet despite playing a crucial role in Australia’s economy, truck driving is one of the country’s most dangerous professions. The figures paint a disturbing picture. Truck driving has an average rate of 20 deaths per 100,000 workers. In 2014, there were 65 deaths and 8450 injuries […]

Read more
Motorcycle road accident infographic: Breaking down the numbers
December 11, 2017

Motorcycle road accident infographic: Breaking down the numbers

Ask anyone with a motorcycle and they’ll tell you nothing beats the feeling of cruising the open road. With the sun on your skin and the wind in your hair, there’s nothing better. But that feeling comes at a cost. Without the protection of car panels, airbags or seatbelts, motorcyclists are particularly vulnerable when it […]

Read more
See more from the blog

Enquire now

Slip, trip or fall claims

Slip, trip or fall claims

If you have slipped or tripped in a shopping centre or any other public place, and suffered an injury as a result, you may be able to make a claim for compensation.

Read more
Meet the Shine team

Meet the Shine team

We recruit experts that are not only very good at getting the best outcome for you, but who are also passionate about making the legal process as easy and as uncomplicated as possible.

Read more

Call Us Now

Our friendly consultants are available to talk Monday to Friday, 8:15am to 6:00pm AEST.

1800 618 851

Live Chat

Chat with Shine Lawyers through the livechat system without leaving your computer. No downloading, completely private and best of all - its easy to use.

Start a live chat now

Enquire Now

Enquire now