Serious injury legal process in Queensland and WA
Every serious injury claim is unique and we tailor our service for each particular case. The below video provides a simple, general guide to the process for bringing a compensation claim with Shine Lawyers:
How injury compensation is calculated in Queensland and WA
Depending on the nature of your serious injury claim in Queensland or WA, in most instances a monetary value is placed on the gap between your predicted life path before the injury, and your actual life path since.
This page is written specifically for a Queensland or Western Australian audience. Restrictions in these states prohibited us from showing certain information regarding our legal services, so if you are located outside these states please click here for information on serious injury claims law.
Our offer to you
Common questions about Serious Injury Claims in Queensland & WA
If you’ve suffered a serious injury in Queensland or WA because of someone else’s actions, you may be able to make a claim.
Serious injuries could include:
- A bulging disc in your spine
- Torn tendons in your shoulder
- Cartilage or tendon damage in your knee
- Scarring, burns or disfigurement
- Fractured bones or vertebrae
- A head injury
- A brain injury
- A spinal cord injury
- A serious concussion
- A severe psychiatric disorder
- Loss of or altered vision
- Errors during cosmetic surgery
- Birth injury
- Nerve injury
- Dental Injury
To make a successful serious injury claim in Queensland or WA, your legal team will need to prove:
- A person or business was negligent
- You have suffered as a result of this negligence
- You have suffered an injury and will continue to suffer in the future
- our legal team will be able to explain what your rights are and provide you with advice.
In most serious injury cases in Queensland and WA, it’s the insurance company of the person or business at fault that will pay. It’s not typically the individual themselves that will have to pay compensation to you out of their own pocket.
Following a serious injury, we understand a high level of care, rehabilitation and support may be necessary to help you regain your health.
Depending on how serious your injuries are, your claim may include compensation for the following under Queensland and WA law:
- Home and yard modifications
- The cost of special equipment including insurance and maintenance costs
- Special vehicle or vehicle modification costs
- Technical equipment which may assist with memory
- Equipment to help with visual or hearing difficulties
- Paid nursing, respite or support worker care
- Costs for maintaining your rehabilitation e.g. hoists, gym equipment
- Treatment for sexual dysfunction
- Medical supplies and pharmaceutical expenses
- Psychological and psychiatric support
- Costs associated with managing your compensation
Compensation amounts are based on your individual needs and the recommendations made by medical professionals.
All compensation claims are different. The amount you will be able to claim under Queensland or WA law will depend on your injuries and the impact they’ve had on your life.
Your legal team can provide you with advice about what you may be entitled to.
Serious injury claims in Queensland or WA can be complicated due to medical and legal issues.
After an accident, it’s important that your injuries are allowed to stabilise before the impact they will have on your life, now and in the future is assessed.
It’s still very important that you seek independent legal advice as soon as possible after you’re injured as time limits do apply.
After an accident in Queensland or WA it’s important to ask for legal help as soon as you can.
This is because the law sets time limits in which you can bring a claim.
These limits can vary between Australian states and territories and what area of personal injury law the claim falls under so we recommend you seek legal advice as soon as possible.
We work on a No win no fee basis for all serious injury cases in Queensland and WA, which means you’ll only pay our fee if you win your case at the end of the claim.
Your legal costs will be determined by the amount of work required to resolve your claim.
Shine Lawyers have offices in the following locations in Queensland and WA. As part of our service offering, home or hospital appointments can be arranged at your convenience.
- Gold Coast
- Hervey Bay
- North Lakes
- Stones Corner
- Sunshine Coast
Shine Lawyers have expert No Win No Fee lawyers that can help you determine your rights and bring forward a serious injury claim on your behalf. The below links contain further information regarding your legal options in Queensland and WA.
Shine Lawyers also have accredited specialists in personal injury law in Queensland: