After an injury on the road, you should be focusing on your recovery, not stressing about the law - that's where we Shine.
Everyday our highly-experienced TAC Claims team fight hard to maximise compensation for our clients on a No Win No Fee basis*. Our firm possesses the skills and experience to guide you through the entire process, helping you get your life back on track.
Am I eligible to make a TAC claim?
On foot, by bike or behind the wheel — if you or a loved one have been injured in an accident caused by a car, motorcycle, bus, train, or tram you will be eligible for TAC compensation. The Transport Accident Commission (TAC) provides support for people in Victoria injured in traffic accidents, funded by fees attached to vehicle registration - this means which we don't have to chase individuals to pay compensation.
The TAC scheme covers a range of common accidents and the resulting injuries, including:
- Incidents directly caused by driving a motor vehicle
- Out-of-control motor vehicles, train or trams
- Collisions between cyclists and motor vehicles
- Collisions between cyclists and parked cars, as well as opened car doors
- Pedestrians injured not using crossings
- Passengers injured on or by a train, bus or tram
- People injured when driving under the influence
The TAC covers all accidents which occur in Victoria, including those involving non-Victorian residents.
The TAC will cover accidents in the other states if:
- at least one vehicle involved is a Victorian registered vehicle; and
- the person injured is a passenger of the Victorian vehicle and/or a Victorian resident.
The scheme is ‘no-fault’, which means claims can be made by anyone injured in an accident, regardless of who caused it.
While the TAC scheme is not responsible to pay for damage to your car, they can pay for accident-related damage to glasses, medical aids or dental work.
What can I claim for?
If you’re injured in a transport accident and are eligible within the TAC scheme, you may claim a range of entitlements to aid your recovery.
These TAC benefits commonly include:
- Medical treatment and services
- Weekly payments for time spent unable to work (or fund substitute labour if you are self-employed).
- Return to work support for you and your employer
- A lump sum for any permanent injury, known as an “impairment benefit”.
These are only some of the benefits claimed for through TAC Claims. Our team can determine specifically what your entitlements are once they have the details of your accident and injury.
What is the TAC claims process?
While every motor vehicle claim for compensation is different, our TAC Claims team can guide you through the entire legal process.
TAC Claims generally progress like this:
- You are involved in an accident. - After an accident, you must report the accident to the Police, even if they did not attend the scene. You must also get a TAC medical certificate from your doctor and lodge a claim over the phone with TAC within 12 months.
- TAC have approved or denied your claim - consult Shine Lawyers to understand your entitlements.
- We will investigate your claim - this will involve obtaining medical information, accident information, lost earnings and work capacity information
- Shine will strategise the best path to maximise your benefits and compensation – we will determine the right path for your claim, either an Impairment Benefit or Common Law (if someone was at fault).
- Impairment claims – once your injury has stabilised we will lodge your claim. This will generally be between 3 months and 6 months after the accident.
- Common Law claims – we will apply for permission to bring a compensation claim. This generally takes 10-12 months, however, timing depends on you and your treatment. We can only claim once for common law damages so we must make sure we have an accurate picture of your injuries, the implications on your life now and into the future.
Why choose Shine?
When it comes to TAC Claims, Shine Lawyers has years of experience achieving successful outcomes for thousands of injured Australians.
We have a department dedicated to TAC claims, meaning we can help you understand your rights and navigate the intricacies of the scheme.
Our TAC Claims expert will advocate on your behalf to ensure your compensation is maximised, you receive the total range of benefits available to you and your entitlements are correctly accessed by the TAC.