Shine Lawyers Logo
1800 618 851

Motor Vehicle and TAC Claims in Victoria

Dealing with insurance companies after a car accident can be a daunting experience. It can feel like you've got no one on your side and that you're in this all alone. Your focus should be on getting better, not on the legal side of things - that's where we shine.

Expert TAC Lawyers

Our experienced TAC lawyers deal with motor vehicle and car accident claims on a daily basis and can help you get the compensation you need to regain control over your life.

If you have suffered a whiplash injury, neck injury, back injury, head injury, brain injury, spinal injury or any other type of injury from a car accident, Shine Lawyers can help.

We'll establish your own go-to team, who will always be there to answer your questions and give you the facts in plain English. We'll look after things every step of the way.

What is the TAC and what does it do?

If you've been injured in a car accident in Victoria, or while travelling in a Victorian registered car anywhere in Australia, then you have the legal right to claim compensation from the Transport Accident Commission (TAC).

The TAC is an organisation owned by the Victorian State Government whose function is to provide compensation to people injured in transport accidents.

It doesn't matter if the accident was your fault, or if you were driving a car, truck, motorcycle, bus, train or tram - you may still have a TAC claim for compensation.

What compensation can I claim from the TAC for the accident?

Our expert TAC lawyers can help you pursue a common law claim for TAC compensation if it can be established that the accident was caused, or partly caused, by the fault of another party.

A TAC common law claim entitles you to claim compensation for:

  • pain and suffering
  • loss of enjoyment of life and scarring
  • financial loss.

The total amount available in a TAC common law claim is $1,852,490.00.

Our experts will explain what you might be able to claim and we’ll make the process easy. We know you want to get on with it and regain control of your life so we’ll look after everything for you.

For more information on the legal process, watch our step-by-step guide to compensation claims.

Common injuries suffered in car accidents

According to a Department of Transportation study, head injuries are the most common type of injuries suffered in car accidents. This category includes concussions, fractures and even traumatic brain injury resulting in long-term cognitive difficulties.

TAC Lawyers in Melbourne and throughout Victoria

Shine Lawyers has offices located throughout Victoria, including Melbourne offices located in Melbourne CBD and Sunshine. Find your nearest branch on our Victorian office locations page or get in touch via the forms below.

Due to restrictions in Queensland (QLD) and Western Australia (WA) we are prohibited from showing people in those states certain information regarding our legal services. The TAC is also only appropriate to those making road traffic claims in Victoria. If you are located in QLD or WA please click here for information on motor vehicle accident law.

Related information:

Superannuation and Disability Insurance

If you are unable to work due to illness or injury you might be entitled to benefits through your superannuation or other insurance policies. We recommend speaking to one of our experts for a quick, obligation-free analysis of your situation to determine your rights and ability to make a claim..

Learn more about Superannuation and Disability Insurance Claims

Our offer to you

Shine Lawyers | Service Icon | Shine Lawyers

Obligation-free initial consultation to assess your case confidentially

Shine Lawyers | Service Icon | Shine Lawyers

Claim assessment process where we will explain all of the options available to you

Shine Lawyers | Service Icon | Shine Lawyers

We can come to you - if you can't make it into the office we're more than happy to come to you

Shine Lawyers | Service Image | Shine Lawyers

No Win No Fee arrangement

Common Questions

Every motor vehicle accident claim for compensation is different, however the below image gives a good indication of how the claims process works with Shine Lawyers and how you can access compensation following your injuries.

Claims Process Diagram

If you're injured in a transport accident, then you are legally able to claim a range of benefits from the TAC regardless of how the accident occurred.

These TAC benefits include:

  • Payment of medical and related expenses
  • Weekly payments for being unable to work
  • A lump sum for any permanent injury, known as an “impairment benefit”.

If you have had an accident that occurred before 16 December 2004, the total amount available for a TAC lump sum impairment benefit is $83,410.00. If your accident occurred after 16 December 2004, then the total amount available for a TAC lump sum impairment benefit is $281,090.00.

It's important you contact one of our expert TAC lawyers to see how we can help you. There are so many complexities surrounding this area of law that it's always best to get an expert to help with your claim.

It's important you seek legal advice from an expert TAC lawyer like Shine Lawyers to ensure that:

  • You receive the most compensation that you are entitled to from your TAC claim
  • You are aware of the total range of benefits available to assist with your recovery
  • Your entitlement to benefits is correctly assessed by the TAC

Shine Lawyers have a specialist department dedicated solely to TAC claims. The team is one of the best in the legal industry and they have settled thousands of claims over the years. It's this experience that means you are in safe hands and that you can trust us to get you the compensation you need.

If the TAC has made a decision that you're not happy with, our TAC claims lawyers can advise you of your chances of successfully challenging that decision. It's important you seek legal help right away if this happens because strict time limits apply with TAC claims.

Shine Lawyers operate on a no win no fee basis. This means you don't pay for our professional fees unless your case against the TAC is successful.

There's also no up front costs, so you don't have to worry about forking out extra costs just to start up a claim. During your first appointment or expert lawyers will go over this with you.

It is possible to legally represent yourself when making a compensation claim. Doing so successfully will likely require a thorough understanding of the law, your legal rights and entitlements, and a commitment to actively pursue the case to move it forward.

Most people making TAC or motor vehicle compensation legal claims choose not to act for themselves and instead engage an expert compensation lawyer. The best compensation lawyers can provide the knowledge and experience required to help guide a case to a successful outcome.

Where you are located isn't necessarily a barrier when it comes to obtaining the services of a lawyer. We're experts when it comes to TAC related claims and we can help you get the compensation you deserve.

It doesn't matter if you are located close or far away from a Shine Lawyers office - we will always provide the same, expert advice and manage your claim with the same level of quality and commitment.

Our compensation experts are in the following locations:

Shine Lawyers are expert transport accident lawyers that can help you get the compensation you need following your injury on the road. We know that seeking legal help can take a lot of courage, however with Shine Lawyers you can be sure we'll do everything we can to make you feel at ease.

Click on the link below for more information about how Shine Lawyers can help you with your TAC claim.

Why you should choose Shine Lawyers to handle your TAC claim

Hear from some of our clients

History of Shine Lawyers

The Shine Lawyers team

Shine Lawyers also have accredited specialists in personal injury law across the nation:

Shine Lawyers are one of the biggest car and transport accident litigation firms in Australia and have the experience and nous to go up against the big insurance companies and get you the result you are looking for.

You will have your own go-to team, who are always available to chat and who understand that explaining things in plain English to you is important.

We provide all of our transport accident legal services on a No Win No Fee service offering, which means you won't have to pay our legal costs unless we win your claim at the end.

Hear from some of our clients who have been through the legal process with us.