Shine Lawyers is fighting for justice on behalf of thousands of Australian women who have been left with life altering complications after receiving Johnson & Johnson vaginal mesh or tape implants.
Federal Court Judgment - November 2019
On the 21st of November 2019 we welcomed the Court’s decision which found that Johnson & Johnson vaginal mesh and tape implants were not fit for purpose or of merchantable quality. Federal Court Judge Anna Katzmann also found that Johnson & Johnson and Ethicon Sàrl and Ethicon, Inc. were negligent and driven by “commercial opportunities”.
The judgment is available to view by clicking here.
What is the Johnson & Johnson / Ethicon Class Action about?
The class action, which is the largest women’s health action in Australian history, was filed by Shine Lawyers on behalf of thousands of Australian women who have been left with life altering complications after receiving Johnson & Johnson vaginal mesh or tape implants. This has been part of a global health crisis involving these products, which have had a devastating impact on hundreds of thousands of women whose lives were put on hold as they endured chronic and debilitating pain.
Shine Lawyers’ claim alleged that:
- the implants were defective and not fit for purpose;
- the information and warnings that accompanied the implants did not adequately disclose the nature and severity of the risks; and
- the implants caused significant and sometimes severe and life-altering complications including erosion and chronic pain.
Can I join the Johnson & Johnson / Ethicon Class Action?
This class action includes any person who was implanted, in Australia, with one or more of the tape and mesh implants listed below used to treat stress incontinence or prolapse and suffered complication(s).
The implants are:
- Gynecare Prolift Pelvic Floor Repair Systems (Anterior, Posterior and Total);
- Gynecare Prosima Pelvic Floor Repair Systems (Anterior, Posterior and Combined);
- Gynecare Prolift+M Pelvic Floor Repair Systems (Anterior, Posterior and Total);
- Gynecare TVT;
- Gynecare TVT - Abbrevo;
- Gynecare TVT – Secur;
- Gynecare TVT Exact;
- Gynecare TVT - Obturator; and
- Gynecare Gynemesh PS Nonabsorbable polypropylene Mesh.
See our FAQs section below for further information on how to find out the type of implant you may have received.