Are you in VIC? If not, please change below.

In your state, you are required to confirm you wish to access this information. Please enter 'QLD' or 'WA' in the field below to continue.

No thanks

Injured on private property: What are your rights to compensation?

Private property sign on gate | Shine Lawyers

If you’ve been injured while on private property – whether it was another person’s home or commercial premises – you may be able to claim compensation to help you get back on your feet.

What is meant by ‘private property’?

The concept of ‘private property’ is most easily understood by comparing it to public property. While private property is owned by either an individual person or corporation, public property is owned by the government.

Examples of private property include residential homes or business premises. This can be compared to public places such as parks, footpaths, beaches and national parks.

When does a duty of care arise?

When entering private property, it’s reasonable for you to expect not to be hurt or injured. This means in most circumstances, the duty of care will arise as soon as you enter.

Who owes the duty of care?

In most cases, the person who owns the property and the individual occupying it will both owe a duty of care to those who enter the premises. If you’re injured while visiting the property, one or both parties may be responsible depending on the circumstances of your accident.

The responsibilities of a landlord differ to those of an occupier. A landlord’s duty of care includes the obligation to ensure the property is constructed free from defects and to avoid injury, damage or loss when undertaking maintenance or repairs.

The exact nature of a landlord’s duty of care will depend on the state or territory the accident occurred in, as some jurisdictions have specific legislation regulating this. Click here for more information on the duty of care owed by a landlord.

In general, the occupier of private property is responsible for maintaining a safe, hazard-free environment for visitors to the premises.

What does the duty of care entail?

Occupiers of private property must take reasonable steps to ensure that entrants are not exposed to a foreseeable risk of harm. If a risk of injury exists, an occupier must take steps to either rectify and remove the risk or warn visitors of the danger.

If there is a foreseeable risk of harm, such as a wet floor, and the occupier has failed to dry the floor or put out visible warning signs, they’ll likely be in breach of their duty of care.

Caution wet floor sign on tiled floor | Shine Lawyers

What can you do if you were injured on private property?

There are certain things you can do straight away to protect your rights to bring a legal claim. These include:

  • Recording precise notes on the details of the incident to ensure that you can recall it at a later date
  • Obtaining photographs of the place where the incident occurred, or writing a description of the property, circumstances and hazard
  • Seeing a medical professional to diagnose and treat any injuries you may have sustained
  • Keeping a diary of any symptoms that arise
  • Obtaining the contact details of witnesses, and
  • Seeking expert legal advice on your rights to compensation.

Bringing a claim for compensation

If you have entered private property and suffered injury, loss or damage, and this was a direct result of the occupier’s failure to maintain a safe environment, you may be entitled to compensation. This compensation can cover any medical expenses you have incurred, special damages for your particular pain and suffering and lost wages or business revenue.

Your ability to claim compensation is assisted by the fact that most commercial businesses will have public liability insurance, which covers claims of unexpected accidents. Similarly, most individuals will have public liability insurance through their home and contents insurance, even if they’re a tenant.

For more information on your rights to compensation, or to begin your legal journey, get in touch with Shine Lawyers public liability experts today.

Written by Shine Lawyers on . Last modified: May 4, 2018.

Join the discussion

Share this article:

There are 0 comments. Be the first!

Food Allergies and Eating Out: What are your Rights?

Food allergies are common in Australia, affecting about one in every twenty children and two in every hundred adults. While many children outgrow their food allergies, those that don’t face a higher risk of anaphylactic shock and other reactions. Everyone should be able to enjoy a meal out. But for people with food allergies, it’s […]

Read more

Triathlon or Cycling Event – The Perfect Preparation

Training for an upcoming triathlon is an art, but one which may be mastered. For optimal results and to minimize risk of injury, elite triathletes recommend planning training in 12-16-week blocks leading up to the big race season. A typical, high-level training schedule in the preceding 12 weeks may be broken down like this: Week […]

Read more

Duty of care at school or daycare – Who is responsible?

What duty of care do teachers and carers have towards your children? Every parent hopes that child’s time at day care and school will be an adventure filled with learning, play and new experiences. Children can’t (and shouldn’t!) be shielded from every bump and bruise but ultimately, carers and teachers must do what they can […]

Read more